Sunday, August 8, 2010

Cold and Rainy in August??


I'll admit, at first I was a little bummed by the rain. I'm no sun-worshiper, but in August, it's pretty much de rigueur.

As another busy Saturday came to a close, Kelly and I decided to open a bottle of the 2009 Bruno Giacosa Dolcetto d'Alba to drink after work. It's fantastic. We both just sat there swooning over it - that is, until her ride showed up early. Since she had to run, I was left with the lion's share of the bottle. Well, I couldn't just let it go to waste... ;-) Kelly's parting words echoed in my mind - "You've gotta make something amazing for dinner to go with this."

And so I did. Sitting down at 10:00 (hey, I don't get off work until 6:30!), I relished a plate of ragù of veal, dotted with pancetta, over a bed of gnocchi, delicately dusted with freshly-grated Parmigiano-Reggiano and black pepper.

By that point, the Dolcetto had opened up beautifully. Rich yet elegant purple-black fruit, laced with hints of star anise and black licorice, a touch of skin tannin on the tongue and a solid core of bright acidity. It was the perfect complement to my hearty meal - AND a perfect antidote for a cold, rainy August night.

Kyle D.T. Reynolds

No comments:

Post a Comment